University Scholars Program events include regular seminars featuring Duke faculty and students sharing their research, lunches and special events with visiting writers, scholars, scientists, and artists, and public events to which members of the Duke community and Durham residents are encouraged to attend.
USP Seminars typically meet in 240 Franklin Center and meet on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evening from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
USP Seminars Fall 2017
Check back here for speakers/topics for Fall 2017 USP Seminars.
- Thursday, September 14: Durham Mayoral Candidate Forum at Durham City Hall (6 pm dinner, 7-9 pm forum)
- Tuesday, October 3: “So You Want to Go to Grad School?”
- Wednesday, October 18: Undergraduate Enrichment Seminar I
- Thursday, November 2: “‘Fire at Sea’: Migration, Transit and Outcomes in the Mediterranean” (6 pm dinner, 7-9 film screening and discussion with filmmaker)
- Tuesday, November 15: Professor Jessi Streib, Dept. of Sociology, on “Social Class Origins and the Transition from College to Work”
- Wednesday, November 28: Professor Diego Bohórquez, Dept. of Medicine, Pathology, and Neurobiology on “Where the Gut Meets the Brain”
USP Seminars Spring 2018
Check back here for speakers/topics for Spring 2018 USP Seminars.
- Thursday, January 11: Jory Weintraub, Science Communication Program Director at Duke Science and Society on “Effective Public Speaking.”
- Wednesday, January 24: Sheila Patek, Associate Professor of Biology, on “The Interplay of Physics and Evolution.”
- Tuesday, February 6: Michael Klien, Associate Professor of Dance, Duke Dance Program.
- Monday, February 19: Undergraduate Enrichment Seminar II
- Saturday, March 3: USP Annual Spring Symposium on “Masquerade” (9:00 am – 4:00 pm, The Edge Workshop, Bostock Library)
- Wednesday, March 28: Deondra Rose, Assistant Professor of Public Policy on “At the Intersection of Identity, Politics, and Higher Education.”
- Thursday, April 12: USP Graduate Research Seminar