- This event has passed.
“So You Want to Go to Grad School?” USP Roundtable Discussion with Grad/Prof Unis
October 3, 2017 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Please join us for a discussion about going to graduate school, whether for a Ph.D. program or a professional school program such as law school, environment, nursing, etc. A group of doctoral and professional school University Scholars will share their experiences and address your questions. Joining us will be:
PROF SCHOOL RESPONDENTS:
- Asma Agad – Nursing
- Zachary Ferguson – Law School
- Daniel Ramírez – NSOE
- Kelley Robbins-Thompson – NSOE
- Bennett Wright – Law School
SOCIAL SCIENCES RESPONDENTS:
- Hannah Ridge – Political Science (but humanities MA before)
- Maria Zhu – Economics
- Bryce Gessell – Philosophy
- Ana Ugarte Spanish/Romance Studies
- Lydia Greene – Ecology
- Jeffrey Letourneau – Molecular Genetics & Microbiology
- Kelly Moran – Stats
- Dane Sequeira – Mechanical Engineering
- Han Setiawan – Medical Physics
POSSIBLE QUESTIONS INCLUDE:
- Why go to grad school?
- What kind of program should I consider?
- Do I need a certain GPA? GRE score? LSAT score? MCAT score? GMAT score? (etc.!)
- When should I apply?
- From whom should I get letters of recommendation?
- How should I approach the personal essays?
- If I need to submit a writing sample, what should that be?
- I’m not doing a senior thesis – does that hurt my chances?
- What about gap year(s)? Does that help or hurt my chances?
- What about paying for grad school – how does that work?
- What’s the difference between getting a Masters vs a PhD?
- What benefits does getting a graduate degree confer?
- What are the disadvantages of going to grad school?
- What are my chances of getting a job in my field in academia? Outside academia?
- And anything else that you think relevant to share…
· And anything else that you think relevant…
Interesting links to consider: