The oldest structure built on the northwest corner of Erwin and Trent drives, the George Hackney designed dormitory for nursing opens. In 1952, a new nursing dormitory and teaching facility was built and named “Hanes House”. Coincidentally — our building became known as the “Hanes Annex”. By the mid 1970’s, Hanes Annex served undergraduates at Duke and by 1980, it was comprised entirely of freshman as part of a cluster of buildings known as “North Campus”. In 1994 the Hanes Annex was closed and stood vacant for 7 years.